In Lieu of Stress Awareness Month we felt that we should provide a few tips on how to manage your stress. It is very important to manage your stress considering stress can be directly linked to diseases such as heart disease and stroke as well as, mental illness, Alzheimer’s, depression, weight gain, and even death. It is probably one of the most common issues we deal with on a regular basis. We live in a day and age where everything is so stressful. We have deadlines to meet, traffic to drive in, children to tend to, and spouses to clean up after all of which increases your stress level.
So How do you minimize stress? Well I am glad you asked!
Stress cannot be controlled by one method the best way to manage your stress is to have a plethora of strategies; and here are some!
- Get Moving! – Of course Moving would be the Lead-off hitter on a health and wellness blog but it is imperative to your stress management protocol to include movement. Exercise releases endorphins that boost your mood and make you feel good, and it can also serve as a valuable distraction to your daily worries.
- Live Healthy! – Ok I kind of set you up for this one. However; In addition to regular exercise, there are other healthy lifestyle choices that can increase your resistance to stress. Eating a healthy diety, reducing caffeine, reducing sugar, avoiding alcohol, and avoiding cigarettes just to name a few! For more information on how to live a healthier life, Click Here!
- Maintain Great Relationships! – Social engagement is the quickest, most efficient way to rein in stress and avoid overreacting to internal or external events that you perceive as threatening. There is nothing more calming to your nervous system than communicating with another human being who makes you feel safe and understood.
- Understand You Are Always In Control Of YOU! – Stressors aren’t always avoidable so when you find yourself in a stressful situation try to alter it. Often, this involves changing the way you communicate and operate in your daily life. This means express yourself and your feeling (which are totally two separate things), Be willing to compromise you aren’t 5 years old, and manage your time (which is the most common cause of stress)
- Get Rid Of Stankin’ Thankin’ – How you think can have a profound effect on your stress levels. Each time you think a negative thought about yourself, your body reacts as if it were in the throes of a tension-filled situation. Regain your sense of control by changing your expectations and attitude to stressful situations. BBE POZITIVE!
- Always Make Time For FUN! – Beyond a take-charge approach and a positive attitude, you can reduce stress in your life by nurturing yourself. If you regularly make time for fun and relaxation, you’ll be in a better place to handle life’s stressors. And, don’t hesitate to push the pause button and just checkout of life for a while!
And There You Have It 6 ways to reduce the stress in your life and stay alive! I definitely want you to stay alive and read more of our blogs. So go out there and live stress free you can do it! We Believe in you!
Additional Resources on Stress!