For Breakfast to be arguably the most important meal of the day; Do you know what you should have for breakfast? What do you eat now; Cereal and Milk, Eggs and Bacon, Protein Shake, or something a little more radical like Bulletproof Coffee?
For starters if you are not an intermittent faster than eat something when you wake up. Trust me it will make for a healthier day maintaining blood sugar levels and actually aid in helping you make better choices throughout the day. No one makes good food choices when you feel as if your ribs are collapsing on itself.
The biggest misconception about breakfast is that you need carbohydrates. This is why breakfast foods like oatmeal, grits, cereal, and cream of wheat are such a staple of the American breakfast. You do not need them! Don’t get that confused with they are bad, which so many breakfast knowledge seekers assume. The most important aspect of your breakfast is protein and fat. Uh Oh! I said the “F” word. Fat is such an important part of your diet not just breakfast but all of them. Fats are essential for:
- Formation of healthy cell membranes
- Proper development and functioning of the brain and nervous system
- Proper thyroid and adrenal activity
- Hormone production
- Regulation of blood pressure, liver function, immune and inflammatory responses
- Regulation of blood clotting: Omega-6 FAs encourage blood clot formation, whereas Omega-3 oil reduces clotting. The ideal is to achieve a balance between omega-6 and omega-3 FAs
- Crucial for the transport and breakdown of cholesterol
- Support healthy skin and hair
So be sure to incorporate them into every meal. Sources of fats Avocados, Nuts, Fatty Fish, and supplementation
protein source – Eggs, red meat, poultry, Quinoa, Tofu
Vegetables – Dark green Leafy (sautéed spinach and leeks)
Fat– See above
Carbohydrates – Optional: If you choose too then have a small amount and should not be the focal point of your meal i.e. 1/4 cup of berries, cup of oats, or 1/2 piece of whole grain toast
If you are in a rush a simple protein shake will work:
Try this shake recipe
1 scoop of chocolate protein
1 handful of spinach
1 teaspoon of PB2
Ice and water or Almond Milk
(Our Children Love This Shake!!!)
If you have Shake Recipies you wish for us to try please send the recipe to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured and some Mr. BPOZ! Swag!